THE TRUTH BEHIND MOLD ALLERGENS
Mold is a fungus that is found both indoors and out. If you come into contact with mold, it could trigger an allergic reaction. But don’t despair. You can take action.
Outdoor mold grows on rotting logs and fallen leaves, in compost piles, and on grasses and grains. Unlike pollens, molds don’t die with the first frost in late fall or early winter. They just stop growing and lay dormant during this time. In the spring, they grow on plants killed by the cold.1
Indoors, mold thrives in hot and humid environments, such as the kitchen, bathroom, and basements.1
WHAT IS A MOLD ALLERGY?
Inhaling mold spores carried by the wind outdoors or by air indoors, can cause an allergic reaction in some people. Symptoms may include nasal congestion, sneezing, a runny nose, and itchy, watery eyes.1
WHO GETS MOLD ALLERGIES?
It can be hereditary. People with parents or brothers or sisters who have allergies to such things as mold, pollen, and animal dander (tiny flakes from the skin, hair, or feathers of animals) can also become allergic to mold.2
HOW CAN YOU CONTROL MOLD ALLERGENS?
Unfortunately, mold exists everywhere, but there are steps you can take to limit your contact with it both indoors and out. Limit outdoor activity during pollination periods when the mold count is high. This will lessen the amount you inhale.
and drip pans
Fix water leaks
to keep mold
Use a dehumidifier
to keep your
Check mold counts
on online weather
Mold and its allergens are all around us, making them a challenge to avoid. But learning how to properly manage mold both indoors and outdoors can help lessen your symptoms—so you can
1. Mold Allergy. (n.d.). Retrieved August 27, 2015, from http://asthmaandallergies.org/asthma-allergies/mold-allergy/
2. Mold Allergy. (n.d.). Retrieved August 27, 2015, from http://acaai.org/allergies/types/mold-allergy