• November

    10

    2015
  • 275
  • 1
What Is Mold?

What Is Mold?

Molds are part of the natural environment

  • Outdoors, molds play a part in nature by breaking down dead organic matter, such as Cellulose products, fallen leaves and dead trees, etc.
  • Indoors, mold growth should be avoided.
  • Aspergillis_Penicillium A common mold, unhealthy in high concentrations

    Aspergillis_Penicillium A common mold, unhealthy in high concentrations

    Molds reproduce by means of tiny spores

    • Spores are invisible to the naked eye and float through outdoor and indoor air.
    • Mold Spores begin growing indoors when they land on surfaces that are moist or wet.
    • There are many types of mold, and none of them will grow without water or moisture.

    Molds have the potential to cause significant health problems

    • Molds produce allergens (substances that can cause allergic reactions), irritants, and in some cases, potentially toxic substances (mycotoxins).
    • Inhaling or touching mold or mold spores may cause allergic reactions in sensitive individuals.
    • Allergic responses include hay fever-type symptoms, such as sneezing, runny nose, red eyes, and skin rash (dermatitis). Allergic reactions to mold are common.
    • The reactions can be immediate or delayed.

    In addition, mold exposure can irritate the eyes, skin, nose, throat, and lungs of both mold allergic and non-allergic people.Molds can also cause asthma attacks in people with asthma who are allergic to mold

    • Symptoms other than the allergic and irritant types are not commonly reported as a result of inhaling mold.
    • Research on mold and health effects is ongoing. For more detailed information consult a health professional or state or local health departments.

    The mold spores will not grow if moisture is not present 

    Stachybotrys Considered the "Toxic" or "Black" mold.

    Stachybotrys
    Considered the “Toxic” or “Black” mold.

    •  They do not die the spores go dormant and wait to be reactivated with moisture.
    • This moisture can take many forms but the respiratory system is one of the most prevalent.

    Indoor mold growth can and should be prevented or controlled by controlling moisture and humidity indoors

    • If there is mold growth in the property, it should be professionally remediated and the water infiltration/humidity/condensation issue corrected.
    • If mold remediation is performed, but the water intrusion or humidity issues are not resolved, then, the mold contamination will come back.

    How can I tell if the Property has a mold problem?

    • Use the following criteria to perform a cursory evaluation and judgment. If any of the following are present then it is a good indication that there is a mold problem.

    Visible signs

    • Dark staining on sheetrock, condensation on windows, stains around window sills, a fluffy or fuzzy white mass, and discoloration of framing members.

    Odors

    • Musty or moldy odors are a result of compounds given off by active mold growth.

    Do the Occupants have any Physical Ailments?

    • Experience headaches shortly after entering the indoor environment, their throat feels irritated or swollen or any other noticeable reaction to a specific environment.

    Did the Property experience a roof, plumbing, sewer or flood issue recently or previously that was not professionally treated and dried?

    • Failure to properly treat and dry the structure and finish surfaces will contribute to continual health issues. Remember “It is the water you do not see that is the issue”.

    Testing and Inspection – this is the only method that will absolutely determine the types of mold spores present in the air and if a mold issue exists.

LEAVE A COMMENT

You comment will be published within 24 hours.

Cancel reply

1 COMMENT

  • Erika
    November 15, 2015, 4:00 pm REPLY

    What great info

© Copyright 2016 Mold Remedies